I’ve found that it’s crucial for me to be impeccable with healthy habits, starting with what I eat. Every so often, when I’m feeling the stress, I want to eat something sweet for quick energy and a little bit of comfort. And of course, those are the times when that’s absolutely the worst thing for me! I find that eating sugar depletes me in all the ways that I need to be nourished. But if I avoid it, and instead eat nutritious, nutrient dense food, here’s what happens:
- I have lots more energy and am able to better meet all of my responsibilities
- My thinking is clearer and my mind works more quickly, allowing me to be more efficient in everything I do
- My mood is more stable so I’m more able to be present for my clients and my family
- The other food I eat tastes better to me
- I don’t get hungry as easily and don’t have the cravings I used to have
- Even my nails and hair are stronger and fuller!
It definitely takes some getting used to – breaking the habits of just reaching for junk food, reading labels and choosing products without added sugar, and replacing those foods with healthier alternatives. But once I got the hang of it, the benefits were so great and it just became a lifestyle. And I’m not deprived. There are so many options for sugar-free sweet treats that taste great. One of my favorites is frozen pineapple – cut it up into bite size chunks (not too thick), then put the chunks on a cookie sheet in a single layer. Freeze overnight, then put them back in the freezer in a baggie for a snack that’s ready anytime the urge hits!
What do you do to soothe your sugar monster?